High Park >
Colborne Lodge plaque
Location: Toronto, Ontario
With over one million visitors annually, High Park is the jewel of Toronto's park system. It is the largest park entirely within Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It spans 161 hectares (398 acres, 1.61 kmē). It is a mixed recreational and natural park, with sporting facilities, cultural facilities, educational facilities, gardens, playgrounds and a zoo. One third of the park remains in a natural state, with a rare oak savannah ecology.
|Colborne Lodge plaque, High Park|
This photo is of the plaque for Colborne Lodge. The historic cottage was built in 1837 by John and Jemima Howard, the founders of High Park. The plaque reads, "Colborne Lodge -- 1836 -- Built by John Howard (1803-90), it was named after Sir John Colborne, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. Howard, an architect and engineer, emigrated from England 1832 becoming Toronto's first City Surveyor 1834 and City Engineer 1838. He was an art collector, painted scenes of Toronto and devoted himself to improving his estate, which forms part of present-day High Park. In 1873 he offered his property to the city for a public park, but retained posession of the Lodge and 45 acres until his death. -- Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board." Photo looking east, with the Coach House in the background.
GPS: 43 deg 38' 26.29" N, 79 deg 27' 37.87" W (43.6406361, -79.4605194)
Ontario Attractions | Ontario Travel Guides | About | FAQ | Photos | Copyright | Contact